var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-32223222-1']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);
What is PMP
PMP or Project Management Program is established by Project Management Institute (PMI) non-profit organization that founded in 1969. The initial purpose of PMI is to firm a global associate with the profession of project management team to create a standard guidelines on Project Management.
The PMI standard introduced official guidebook call A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK® Guide). Current version was Fourth Edition and this book is used for those participants on PMP Exam. Note: PMBOK Guide 5 will be released by end of calendar year 2012.
PMP is popular at United State and majority of the United Stated Companies practices PMP guideline.
In term of content, PMP is using as a guidelines to the Project Managers instead of Methodology which always many people confused. This mean that PMP was provide flexibility to the Project Managers to applied PMP guidelines while with the creative way.
To apply for the PMP, you need to have either:
- Minimum degree holder and at least three years of project management experience, equivalent to 4,500 hours manage projects that involved at all project process group (initiating, planning, executing, monitoring and control, closing). In addition, you must have attend 35 hours of project management education. Note: ITIL training was under count of project management education.
- Alternatively, a secondary diploma with at least five years of project management experience, which equivalent of 7,500 hours manage projects and 35 hours of project management education. You can track the project management related experience for the past 6 years working experience which it could be in different company.
- If you do not meet the PMP eligibility requirements, you could look at Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM) certification which no project experience required.
The PMP exam is based on Project Process Group with certain percentage in place at below:
- Initiating the project (13%)
- Planning the project (24%)
- Executing the project (30%)
- Monitoring and controlling the project (25%)
- Closing the project (8%)
The exam consists of 200 multiple choice questions with each question has 4 answer choices. 25 questions was on trial which mean 0 points even you answer correct. The allocation time to complete the exam is 4 hours. Based on analysis, participant usually able to answer all question in 3.5 hours with 0.5 hours for review the answer and break.
If you are PMI Members, then
- Computer-based exam: US $405
- Paper-based exam: US $250
If you are Non PMI Members, then
- Computer-based exam: US $555
- Paper-based exam: US $400
- You need to submit the PMP requirements forms at PMI site. Once the PMI approve and you are eligible, PMI will e-mail you examination scheduling instruction with eligibility code which you will need to key in when you scheduling your exam.
- Once you obtained your eligibility code, you have 1 year duration to schedule you exam before it expire.
- With computer-based exams for PMI, you can register at all Prometric Testing Centers worldwide.
Re-schedule or Cancel Exam
- 31 days or more before the exam
- No fee
- Within 30 days - 3 days of exam
- US $70
- Within 2 days of the exam
- Forfeit the full exam fee
Retake Exam if you failed at first time
- You can re-take the exam up to 2 times within your 1 year eligibility period. After that, you are require to re-submit the PMP requirement to obtain a new eligibility code